I am quite frankly unimpressed with Mayan divination. After spending yesterday in a state of anticipation—how cool to be among the few to witness the blazing finale—I awoke this morning only to be bitterly disappointed. Talk about an anticlimax.
On the plus side, the prospect of imminent annihilation provided the perfect excuse to indulge in copious quantities of wine and fruitcake. Why worry about your waistline or blood pressure when there’s no tomorrow? Today, however, we have a whole new reason to celebrate. After all, it’s quite a charming little planet we live on, with its green forests and snow-capped mountains, its vineyards and olive groves and oceans. If you weren’t in the Christmas spirit already, this reassuring piece of news might stir some festive feeling. Woohoo, crack open that Rioja gran reserva and have a party.
If you were banking on Mayan meteorologists, then perhaps you’ve neglected that Christmas shopping list? Not to worry, The Spanish Table is open this Sunday and Monday all your last minute needs. Need ideas? Here’s a few of our favorite stocking stuffers and tasty morsels for you holiday table:
- Half bottles of Port, Sherry, or Rioja
- Olivewood cooking spoons (in all shapes and sizes)
- Argentinian alfajores (chocolate-covered, dulce de leche stuffed goodness)
- Turrón (soft, hard, crunchy or chocolate)
- Paella aprons and oven mits
- Little bottles of truffle infused olive oil
- Rabitos (truffled figs, soaked in brandy and covered in chocolate)
- Spanish anchovies in olive oil
- Mantecados and polverones (traditional Christmas cookies)
- Mitica orange blossom or lavender honey
For the table
- Jamón Serrano and Ibérico
- Chorizo – semi-cured and dry-cured
- Manchego – young, middle-aged, and mature
- Basque cheeses – Kukulu and Idiazabal
- Olives stuffed everything imaginable, from chorizo to blue cheese
- Marcona almonds, fried and salted (perfect with a glass of sherry)
- Superb Spanish olive oil
- Reserva Sherry vinegar
- Artisan crackers
- Pan de higos (dense fig ‘bread’ dotted with whole almonds or walnuts)
Christmastime in Spain: Look around and you will see a strange sight. Here and there, in the bustle of a downtown plaza or in the cramped quarters of the autobus, people are cradling mysterious, bulky packages. If you could peek beneath the wrapping, what would you discover? ….a whole leg of jamón, hoof and all!
A whole jamón is a common Christmas gift in Spain, where festive generosity revolves around food and drink. So why not celebrate Christmas like a Spaniard this year with beautifully cured a leg of jamón Serrano or Ibérico. Atop the table, it makes a show-stopping—not to mention mouth-watering—centerpiece for a party.
We have several whole jamones available for purchase at our Paris Grocery store, just two doors down the street from The Spanish Table. Choose from traditional jamones and paletas (the foreleg), Serrano, Ibérico, and Bellota, bone-in and boneless.
- Fermin bone-in jamón Serrano
- Jamondor boneless jamón Serrano
- Fermin boneless paleta Serrana
- Fermin bone-in paleta Ibérica de Bellota
Feliz Navidad! Oink, oink.
Feliz navidad a todos! In Spain Christmas is all about food and gifts are predominantly of the edible variety. And while we have many enticing provisions that make wonderful Christmas presents, one of our favorites is the paella kit. Let’s face it; we’re serious paella geeks around here! From a basic set to a wildly luxurious one, we have a myriad of ideas for the cooks on your list….or aspiring cooks….or those dear ones whom you fervently wish would take an interest in cooking more often… Ehem, I digress.
The basic kit
For a cook who is new to paella, this is a great gift to get started. Equipped with a sparkling new paella pan, a book of exciting, easy to follow recipes, and the key ingredients, he’ll be on the way to culinary triumph in no time. This basic kit includes the following:
- An eight serving paella pan, in your choice of material
- The book Paella: 40 delicious, Spanish-style recipes
- ½ kilo of arroz bomba, the highest quaity paella rice
- 1 gram of fine Spanish saffron
- A box of smoked, semi-sweet pimentón de la vera
For the basic kit you can choose from our three best-selling pans including carbon steel, enameled, or stainless steel. Confused? Click here or see below for all you need to know about our paelleras.
The ultimate kit
Go beyond the basics with a customized kit that includes a selection of inspiring ingredients and tools for paella perfection. Start with beautiful, stainless steel paella pan and a detailed paella cookbook filled with recipes both traditional and modern. Add chorizo, extra virgin Spanish olive oil, Matiz sofrito and artichoke hearts from Navarra, cockles from Galicia, smoked sea salt and more! Need more suggestions? We’re always happy to geek out about paella so don’t hesitate to call or grab one of us when you come in to the store.
– Rachel Adams